Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Questions Asked by Fans

These questions (and Eric's answers) are a result of a poll on the Eric Kunze fansite. Thank you to all the fans who wrote in. We couldn't get to every question, but hope you are happy with the result. And THANK YOU SO MUCH TO OUR DEAR ERIC, who took time out of his busy schedule to accommodate us.

How did you feel about living in NYC at such a young age and so far from family and how did you handle it? (At the age of 20, Eric was visiting New York on a study program from UC Irvine. He auditioned for and was cast as Marius in Les Miserables on Broadway.)

Eric:

I was lucky to have one of my best childhood friends, Gina DeLuca, living there already. I immediately went into rehearsals for Les Mis, so I made friends quickly, particularly with Dann Fink (the father from "Whistle Down the Wind"). He took me under his wing and taught me the ropes of the business, so to speak. So I had a great support system. My family visited very often which was amazing. I would rent a car and go to the Connecticut coast. I liked to stay at beautiful Inns and walk the quaint villages to get some sanity, and pretend it was my California coast.
How did it come about that you got the part in Whistle Down the Wind? Did you hear about it and audition? Did they approach you first? How long before you knew you had the part? So many people have commented that they purchased the CD after the show and were so disappointed because they didn't like it as well as your version.


Well, I was literally the last person they auditioned. They saw hundreds of people over about six months, but I was never in town to go in. They generously flew me to London for three days, put me in a lovely hotel, and I had a private audition for Bill Kenwright ( the producer/director) musical supervisor etc... And they offered it to me there. By the time I returned home, my agents had everything worked out, and rehearsals started in two weeks! Timing is everything!
If you could choose any musical, other than ALW, which would you want to do?


Company or Sunday in the Park With Georg
What other interests, passions do you have off-stage?


I love to cook and play the piano!
What's the first thing you do when you return home from being on the road?


I open all the waiting mail/bills!
Do you have any kind of ritual you do backstage before going on?


No ritual. Just warm up the voice and drink an Emergen-C
How do you stay in such good physical shape?


I do work out about 3-4 times a week.
I've seen you perform in several shows and have wondered about how you prepare and perform your roles. You seem to pay attention to details but are creative at the same time. How do you go about preparing and how long do you take? Do you leave much room for on the spot creativity?


With "all sung" musicals, you are a bit more limited as far as your spontaneity. As an actor you are always listening and reacting truthfully, and that is always going to change in various ways, per moment, and per show.
Do you ever get nervous before a performance and if you do, how do you deal with your nerves?


Nerves are your friend. Use them to your advantage. :-)
Do you prefer roles for which the script already provides a historical background or "backstory" (Superstar, Joseph) or do you like to shape the backstory yourself (i.e. The Man in Whistle).


I think I prefer a character that is not known historically. As with Jesus, you are always being compared to what the person thinks he should look and act like etc.. I enjoyed the anonymity of "The Man" in that respect.
What roles would you decline to play and why?


Haven't been in the position to have to decline a role for whatever reason yet. :-)
What or who keeps you grounded?


My family and friends keep me grounded. I try to run on the beach at least two days a week. That really helps too.
I have read they took you from the tennis team to be in a play in high school. Do you still enjoy playing?


Yes, I was pulled from the tennis courts, which I love to still play.
When did you realize you wanted to make singing your life?


Singing was a fluke. I had no intentions for it, but it was sometime in college when I decided to give it a go!
Is there any role that you have not done yet that you would love to do in the future?


The Phantom is a role I would like to play.
What has been a major highlight for you in your career?


Working with Jerry Lewis in Damn Yankees.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would this be?


I love Italy and South America, the excitement of touring on the road, hotels and airports.
What is your favorite kind of food? Your drink of choice?


Guacamole and margaritas!
Would you ever want to do a long-term run on Broadway?


I would love to do a show in NY again. :-)
Would you ever want to do a movie? If so, would you consider doing a movie that was not a musical?


I dont have a desire at this point to do movies.( I know nothing about that medium, or making them).
Re 'Window Pains'…. I am curious about how that concept came about and how it developed? How did they choose the numbers they will be featuring? I really like that they are offering a different look and even experience to musical theater from a neat point of view…"
Our little skit is shaping up very nicely. I'm proud of it actually. It's unique
and sweet. We wanted to focus on the subtlety of music theater, and the
appreciation that music can bring through simple and real moments and
relationships.


You can submit your questions to me via email: maggiwun@yahoo.com

RETURN TO THE ERIC KUNZE FANSITE: http://www.erickunze.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment